From:
John James O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Mar 2008 12:07:17 +0800
Same here, Trudy.  And this also presents opportunity to observe that
while we are a community in some sense, we are not in others.  I am
very active in Web 2.0 space and a member of a number of communities
and admit to yearning for something more in the RIM space globally.
That's a reason I am glad to be a part of the ARMA International
Relations Committee.

There is a lot of networking that goes on behind the scenes and it
may be encouraging for others to know about it.  It carries a bit of
risk because people may view that outside of context.  I remember a
thread some years back in which a consultant asked a question and
then was lambasted because s/he "ought" to be an expert and above
asking questions.  As someone who has made a career out of being on
both sides of the table and bringing insights from the outcome
oriented manager's perspective to my consulting practice, and
insights from being outside the corporate frame to my internal roles,
I know there is real value in continuous learning.  A consultant is
no more the be-all than a corporate RMgr--each needs deep knowledge
and each is pad for it!  The moment one stops interacting and asking
questions and weighing that against one's own experience and
learning--is the moment one should stop being an internal RMgr, or
external consultant.

Gosh - opinionated this morning, eh?!  Nonetheless, I guess my point
is that it is really great to be a part of a community where there is
opportunity for sharing and growing - and great to see that
modelled.  When I studied RMgrs and their leadership capacity s long
ago, continuous learning and interaction factored hugely in what
makes for successful influence in organisational settings. I am
considering extending that 1999 work to develop longitudinal study.
I would appreciate knowing if that might be of interest generally as
we take a look at whether we might take that on as part of the book
underway.

Cheers-
John

John James O'Brien, BA, CRM, MALT