From:
Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Mar 2008 00:33:10 -0600
> > I have a fun situation to deal with.

I was told a long time ago, by a man retiring, that if you can't find fun in your profession then you should seek a new one. It looks like you are safe for today :).

I hesitate to comment on this issue. I was recently told that I have been around so long that I could probably write the questions to the CRM (like any sane person would). I think it was a dig. But here goes.

When America was young and Pirates ruled there came a revolution in how pirates plunderd (R&P stayed the same). The Dread Pirate Gates made pirating just so easy The deep blue seemed almost crowded.

Three enclaves developed at this time related to this issue One struck at the "Core" of the issue. Seeking to refelct the times they were not looking to confine the pirates rather they came forth out of their enclave with an open solution. Truly the Pirates that sought a solution leapt upon it. We at time called them MLS'ers (among other things). Watch out they are rumored to have exited as a group since time began.

I'll "Warrant" that most of you don't recall those brave lads from the town of Pitt. A well funded enclave contributing a weath of definitions. Phil we toast ya lad, may there be clear sailing ahead and and friendly ports in your future.

Those enclaves contributed to a solution but if you want a pirate ya gotta go down under. The "VERSion" they came up with was IMO inspired. I took their draft and implemented in as the base model. Ah those were the days sailing in blue water, few rules, and no standards. The fleet was in port asking directions from the pirates LOL.

Little did we know, or care, that we were writing the end to those days by making pirating so efficient. A pair of ducks, or something like that. hmmmm.

The fleet learned the ways of the deep water. They came forth and wreaked havoc upon the sees. Eventually even the Dread Pirate Gates married, seetled down and now spends time with his photo collection.

> A new client is going to go to the users and ask them what Meta Data fields> they want on their profile form for a Electronic Document Management System.> Normally, I sit in a room with several representatives from the various> departments and have a discussion with them to determine what meta data best> represents their documents.

Few sail in the deeep blue sea. Stick to coast. I would recommend that you accept one exisitng metadata standards available. IMO you should use the Ausie's work (True pirates to this day I remember when they Stole the Americas Cup). KISS is in effect > > > > Since I won't have a chance to speak with them one on one, and the person> talking with them is an IT person - not a Records Manager, I'm looking for a> way to explain meta data to a layperson so that they can give the best> feedback possible.>
Box watcher or Geek?> > > Document Type is standard and pretty easy, so is Division, in this case, but> I like to add a minimum of three more fields in order to offer the users> enough choices to be able to find their documents.

Use the definition in the standard and use the terms they provide. generate pick lists.> > > > How would you explain meta data so that engineers, HR people, etc., can> define what fields they want to use ?

"explain meta data so that engineers" Truly a theoretical discussion :)

THE GEEK

Metadata shares some of the same characteristics as dark matter. It has weight and occupies space. It defines, through its existence, the record. The more massive the record the greater the concentraion of dark matter, or is that metadata?

Metadata while not part of the record defines the records existence. The record can exist without the metadata, but it becomes impossible to locate, hard to preserve, conservation and migration can only occur in the macro. There is nexus point dertermined by anaysis that will tell you when metadata has become excessive. To little dark matter and your planet looses gravity and definition to much and well then things get small.

Unless you love physics you should hope you are talking to a box watcher and not a true geek. Keep it simple, follow the standard. Good Luck

Chris Flynn