Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 2008 00:29:41 GMT

Glenn
The problem with checking with Library-related resources is that it leads you to the wrong technology.
The model of a library is not the same as an active file room.  In a library there is a single point of control, and the people to who take books are held responsible for them (i.e. the pay for late returns and losses).
In contrast, file rooms are often accessible after hours and on weekend, or are 'open', leaving no point of control.  Further, the staff outside a file room (attorneys, physicians, and other staff) are not responsible for files -- if they lose them then the Records Staff are responsible to find them.
File Rooms are more like logistics, where inventory items move actively from place-to-place.  There is a definite destination, but items will change hands many times to get there.
HF RFID started in the library industry, where it has languished as libraries have stopped growing and demand growth has slowed.  In contrast, Gen 2 RFID was developed to meet the demands of logistics (supply chain), including unattended tracking across each of many locations, from longer distances with less sensitivity to orientation.
I started working with RFID in 1999.  FileTrail has used both technologies in our solutions, but we stopped delivering HF RFID in 2004 because Gen2 does so much more at a lower cost.
We have leveraged the new capabilities that were built into Gen 2 to allow clients to passively track files with RFID as they move from office-to-office or area-to-area.  We leverage Gen 2 RFID to do automatic check-in, track carts of files, conduct audits, hunt for critical files, and more.
While our software contains all the functions you would expect in a RIM system (tracking, requesting, retention, labeling, imaging, etc.), Gen 2 RFID has allowed us to deliver bigger benefits to our clients than when we were using HF RFID.
Please see our website at www.filetrail.com.  There is a lot of good RFID information there, and you can request whitepapers that have been published by ILTA and ALA.