From:
Kevin Tisdel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 2008 12:27:13 -0400
This is my first post on the listserv, so please pardon any breach of
etiquette.

Background:

We are a privately held manufacturing company and do not "own" nor provide
employees with cell phones.  That being said some employees are using text
messaging to conduct business.

We have come up with an acceptable use policy that states the following:

With the exception of email, the use of instant electronic communication
methods (e.g., text message, IM, SMS, etc.) for business transactions and
for communication about terms and conditions of employment are strictly
prohibited.  Normal correspondence (e.g., call back messages, schedule
updates, etc.) is an acceptable use of these electronic communication
methods.  In the event of a legal hold, an employee's cell phone or other
device is subject to confiscation for data retrieval purposes.

Questions:

Do you specifically address text messaging in your records retention or
electronic communication policy?

If so, do you require the data to be held or collected for retention
purposes?

Do you find the above stated policy to be adequate?

Any comments are welcome.

Thank you.

Kevin Tisdel
Director of Corporate Compliance
Shaw Industries Group, Inc.
P.O. Drawer 2128
Mail Drop 061-28
Dalton, GA 30722-2128
Email: [log in to unmask]

Privileged and/or confidential information may be contained in this message. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or are not responsible for delivery of this message to that person) , you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message and notify the sender by reply e-mail.
If you or your employer do not consent to Internet e-mail for messages of this kind, please advise the sender.
Shaw Industries does not provide or endorse any opinions, conclusions or other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of the company  or its subsidiaries.