From:
Tom Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2008 21:56:42 -0500
Skupsky's Retention Manager 3 is his current product.  The whole program is
being re-written onto a new platform per Mr. Skupsky's own word last fall at
the ARMA conference during the Retention Manager 3 Users Group meeting in
the ICRM lounge.  The product provides about 409 pre-formed record series
with a generally suggested retention for each.  The platform, while a little
challenging to "get" at first does allow you to enter all your record types
and then roll them up into retention rules and legal groups among other
constructs.  Once you begin to customize the product to suit your own needs,
then each time you get a CD update you should review all new citations
because when you start customization you lose the general assignments of
citations and what the original generic retention rules and legal groups
looked like.  This takes time, but is a good practice and to the degree you
trust that Skupsky's office can receive and disseminate the language and
records intention of all the laws and regulations being written in the US at
the federal and each state's level then you can feel confident you are
remaining up to date in requirements and given the information to make good
decisions on considerations.

I have not used Zasio's Retention! Product, but the last time I checked, it
does not make generic retention recommendations for common record types so
it is a slightly different animal.  But I also understand it is a more open
platform which allows greater reporting and flexibility in creating and
maintaining all the aspects of a good retention schedule.  David Stephens,
who works with Zasio has a strong influence on this product.

My understanding is Don Skupsky and Kevin Zasio at one time worked together
then for whatever reason they went different ways and took different
approaches, Zasio creating full-blown software as well as a legal
requirements and considerations product and Skupsky focusing on Retention
Manager, currently sold in its third major build that I know of.

Both products at the very minimum provide assists in different ways to
building and maintaining a legally defensible retention schedule which is
foundational to the life of a records management program.

The staffs working with both products are great to talk to and very helpful.

Tom

Subject: Retention Scheduling Software

Hi All,

I've been a member for a long time, but rarely have much time to post,
though I do read a lot of what is going on.  I am currently finishing my MBA
in Global Management and am working hard for a global medical device company
and consulting in RM in my "spare time".

My question is -- has anyone out there tried both Zasio and Skupsky's
retention scheduling software -- if so, what are the pros and cons of each?
If you have only tried one or the other, please let me know what you thought
of the product.

Best Regards to All,
TK Train, CRM, ECMp, MIT