From:
Sue Kessler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2008 08:17:01 -0600
Hi to all

I am currently on a secondment to lead the pandemic preparedness work
for the province of Alberta - taking a break from my role as the
Director of the government's Information Management program.  I am doing
some initial research and will be putting together a conference
presentation to explore the topic of pandemic and RIM.  I am also
contemplating whether this might be of interest as an article for the
IMJ.

This list has been incredibly useful in the past and I am hoping that if
any of you have considered pandemic preparedness in your business
continuity/resumption for your RIM program and vital records initiatives
that you can provide some insight on this topic.

Here are a few specific questions:

- Given a pandemic will likely occur in waves, is projected to last
upwards of 18 months and could have significant absenteeism rates which
will dramatically effect the workplace, some organizations are looking
at how to scale back to essential services only during the peaks.  Have
you determined that any of your RIM services are essential to support
your essential lines of business e.g. your records centre, your
enterprise content management system support team, your file rooms?
Would appreciate knowing your rationale.

- If your RIM staff are considered essential, how do you envision
dealing with the absenteeism issue?

- Is your organization planning to redeploy any RIM staff from
non-essential services to essential services to support business
continuity? What are the sorts of services that they will deployed to?
Are there skills development/training challenges do you have training
programs in place to enable the skill development?

- If you are using any outsourced RIM services (e.g. records centres),
have you worked with your contractors to ensure they have pandemic
preparedness plans in place and can continue to deliver services to you
during a pandemic.  (Would also be interested to hear from vendors what
your plans are related to this).  If any of you can share generic
contract language with me that would be terrific.

- Have pandemic considerations changed your vital records practices in
any way?

- If you are in leased space, have you worked with your building owners
to ensure you will continue to have access to the building, security,
maintenance services etc.?  Did you need to have contact clauses added
to your arrangements with them?

- Has your organization addressed human resources policy issues e.g.
extending leave provisions, addressing compensation if employees are
redeployed to work of a higher class or with different collective
bargaining rights such as overtime, mental health support.  I am
specifically interested in how this factors into the planning for your
RIM program.

- Are there other challenges/issues that you have encountered in
planning?

I know this is a lot to ask but I am hoping that you will have some
thoughts.  And if any of you have pandemic preparedness plans that you
would be willing to share, that would be very much appreciated.  Please
contact me at [log in to unmask]

Thanks so much and have a wonderful weekend. For all hockey fans out
there, since our beloved Oilers did not make the playoffs, my household
is cheering for the Montreal Canadiens and the Colorado Avalanche - so
we will be glued to the tube watching hockey and the Masters at Augusta.

Sue

Sue Kessler, MLS, CRM
Senior Manager, Pandemic Preparedness
Alberta Health and Wellness