From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 2008 08:43:38 -0400
the followig is posted for Vaughan Spooner from South Africa

Good Day,

I am currently seconded to a huge rail project where our system tool is an
electronic document management system called eDoc, which is a proprietary
system sitting on top of a Documentum platform. The system does not do mail
tracking very elegantly so we have had to develop simple mail tracking
registers in Excel. The main problem around this is discipline and the
process which people tend to abuse. One JV partner has implemented DOCWISE
but I am led to believe that they are not too happy with the system as it is
fairly complex and it was bought without an internal prior business mapping
exercise so they have very expensive consultants tied to the project
forever.

My Group Office has just won a huge power project and because of the
complexity and many participants involved communications (mail not e-mail &
information exchange) is a critical success factor as the project is a fast
track execution.

They have asked me to participate in a workshop/decision about mail tracking
systems, around something that flags that a response is outstanding, closes
off of a communication (something like a letter to letter) and the tracking
of a thread from start to finish (I assume something like a letter, a
response, a reply, a response, etc).

I have had my head down on this project for about three years so my
knowledge about what is going on at systems levels outside my organised
chaos is somewhat limited. Are there any products that anybody on the list
would like to recommend that I can look at with a view to putting forward as
a possible solution?

For your information our Group use Intergraph's SmartPlant Foundation, which
is fine for the engineering & construction but as it is a data warehouse I
would not recommend it as a correspondence system that could do mail
tracking.

I look forward to any suggestions that anyone would like to share with me.

My direct e-mail is [log in to unmask]

Kind Regards

Vaughan Spooner

Bombela Turnkey (Pty) Ltd