From:
Tod Chernikoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2008 09:44:23 -0400
Doug - No offense at all, and thanks for the background.  I believe it to be
a very important topic as well, and the more members that know more about it
the better.

(1) In the past my wife has worked in the association arena so I have an
idea of the environment, plus the DC area is full of association HQs so the
environment is all over the place here

(2) Having been employed by a company at one time and having to report for
those purposes gave me an idea of how much of my dues went to those efforts.
That is where the ballpark figure came from.

(3)  Having attended a session at a recent conference, or having otherwise
met (at an ARMA Committee Meeting) the person ARMA employs to track
legislation and lobby in the EU, I am aware that our efforts can not be
limited to the US.  Yes people we are "International"

(4)  Personal/Grass-Roots efforts by members and leaders are an important
part of such efforts.  I know that ARMA leadership makes an annual visit to
The Hill.  Perhaps if members were encourage to join in as able a better
showing could aid our efforts.

(5)  Education and Training and Standards -YES!

Individual efforts and communicating our desires to our representation in
Washington will always be important, as the individual votes, not ARMA.  In
addition taking part by commenting on proposed agency regulations helps the
effort to create an environment where sensible rules, regulations and
processes within the government is the norm.  Having worked at a few Federal
Agencies as a contractor a having many ARMA associates that either work as
contractors or Federal employees here in the DC area, I am well aware of
what is and is not happening, and not just in the records arena...

Have a good day.

Tod Chernikoff, CRM