From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2008 09:10:53 -0700
> A bit of a random question.  I was told that FireKing filing cabinets do
> not offer protection to materials that have been printed on laser
> printers because, while the paper doesn't burn, the ink 'melts' off and
> is left in a pile of dust at the bottom of the cabinet.
>
> Is this true?  I've tried to find a reference or research to support
> this but have been unsuccessful.  Does anyone else remember reading this
> or know if it's true?

Suffice to say, not all fire resistant storage cabinets are the same. Some
non-commercial Fire King products are  available that may not be the same as
others.

The Fire King site states their cabinets are "UL Listed", and some of the
cabinets carry a 350 degree 1 hour rating, others carry a 2 hour rating, so
there shouldn't be a problem with ink melting IF the printer properly fused
it to the paper to begin with.

Where one of the problems lies is when the fire is being fought and water
hits the surface of the storage compartment.  If the structural integrity
has been adversely impacted by the heat, and cold water hits the surface,
there can be buckling, which allows water, or at minimum, steam, into the
cabinet.  The exterior heat can then cause damage to water based ink that is
on paper, allowing it to run and potentially fuse multiple sheets together.

Similarly, if a user places plastic filing materials in the cabinet, those
can melt and potentially reach temperatures that could result in combustion
occurring inside the cabinet.

I'm assuming Fire King's UL rating is a UL 72 rating, but I don't know that
for a fact.

My personal experience has been with Schwab Fire and Media Safes and Vault
Doors, and I KNOW they are all UL72 tested.
http://www.schwabcorp.com/File_Cabinets/ul_listing_rating_guide.htm#testing
The media safes are 125 degree tested, and paper safes are 350 degree
tested.

Larry

--
Larry Medina