From:
"Porter, Shelley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 May 2008 15:08:25 -0700
Hi Ganesh --

All emails, both inbound and outbound, are captured for all associates.
Our clients can have multiple relationships with any of our companies so
focusing on capturing email for only one business arm risks the
possibility of losing messages and context of an email thread.  Also,
the majority of the fines the SEC imposed a few years back against
financial firms were due to their inability to provide copies of deleted
email messages.  This approach ensures we never experience that problem.

Our archiving system does have the ability to de-duplicate messages to
minimize the number of messages we store.  Our approach I'm sure is
considered overkill by some and I am familiar with the argument against
maintaining 'non-records.'  However, as a heavily regulated global
financial firm, we believe this approach ensures full regulatory
compliance and minimizes risk to the company.

Shelley Porter