From:
Bernard Chester <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 7 May 2008 16:55:55 -0700
Dustin:

I've done it a number of times.  The challenges have been:

1) Vendors are notoriously reticent about providing tools to extract records
and metadata from their systems

2) No two products seem to have identical features or security models, so
you need to  transform the information before loading it up. Metadata,
hierarchies, file formats.

3) It takes forever to move your information over.

4) You need to develop tools to validate the process, and identify documents
(or parts) that did not transfer.

We built a map of the transform from old to new and got high level agreement
on it.  Forced folks to be realistic about how much could be converted in a
certain time period, and how long the whole conversion job would take.  As
each reasonably sized group of records was moved, we validated that they
were as readable on the new system as the old, and identified any dropped
stuff.

At the end we got high level sign off from the owners about getting rid of
the "originals" including those records not converted (due to retention
schedule, etc.)

Bernard Chester
Principal
IMERGE Consulting