From:
WALLIS Dwight D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2008 14:35:38 -0700
Lorinda wrote:
>650 lb stacking strength

At 650 lbs., this is probably not an issue, as that is a fairly heavy
stock. However, if your boxes are subject to repeated use, note that
stacking strength is not necessarily the same as bursting strength. We
use a 250 lb. spec (hey, we're cheap!). A 250 lb. stacking strength is
not equivalent to a 250 lb. bursting strength. You may be able to stack
the boxes fine, but when it comes time to pull them off of the shelf,
the handles will tear out.

This was the issue with the problem vendor I just mentioned on another
thread - they substituted a 250 lb. stacking spec when what was really
needed was a 250 lb. bursting spec, then claimed the two were the same
spec (they aren't). Subsequent boxes were bursting and handles were
failing. Unfortunately, I don't have the exact correct specification
language in front of me - just wanted to make folks aware that stacking
strength and bursting strength are not the same. Since we have focused
on the bursting strength, we have not had a problem, and our costs have
not increased that much. You might want to check on this if you are
buying large quantities of boxes, particularly if they are subject to a
lot of usage (and particularly if you are as tight with money as we
are).

Dwight Wallis, CRM
Records Administrator
Multnomah County Fleet, Records, Electronics, Distribution and Stores
(FREDS)
1620 S.E. 190th Avenue
Portland, OR 97233
Phone: (503)988-3741