From:
Glenn Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2008 07:51:10 +1000
Earl

I respond to sales contacts by saying "send me your stuff, preferably
electronically, and I'll look at it, but I won't waste your time or mine
with a meeting unless there is something I'm interested in". If they are
professional and follow up, I'll spend five minutes on the phone explaining
why I think their stuff isn't for me. If they really bug you, contact their
management and threaten to report them under whatever fair trading
legislation or whatever else you can think of, and suggest that you may drop
some adverse comments onto assorted listservs. Usually works.

I've worked in sales, and it's a numbers game. A professional will quickly
recognise you as not a prospect, and move on to the next call. The more time
they waste continuing to pressure you is less time they can spend finding
genuine prospects. If they persist, they aren't professional and will sooner
or later get fired, or go somewhere else where they think there is more
money. A professional will respect your response and probably buy you a beer
at the next trade show.

And there is no excuse for poorly-presented emails or other material.
Likewise no excuse for not listening.

I'm afraid if I'd been in a meeting like you described, I'd have terminated
it after about 20 mins. Politely, with explanations. I'm just too busy and
there are so many sales reps out there.

Glenn

Glenn Sanders
Australia

These views are mine alone. They may or may not be those of any
previous or present employers or clients. I don't know. If I'd asked
and they'd agreed, I would have signed it "Harry Peck and Co and
Glenn". Or whatever. But I haven't, so I didn't.