From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 2008 10:00:20 -0600
Jay,

I agree with you and think at this point that there's no reason for someone
NOT to have their own domain; in fact I just switched my personal account
over to Windows Live Office and I think it's around $50/year for the domain,
the hosting, and some other stuff.

However, I DON'T think that that really addresses the fundamental question.
Not only do vendors want your contact info so they can market to you - and
I'm somewhat OK with that if the resource in question is high-quality,
fairly informative content rather than the typical "Solve your ________
Problem With Our Solution(TM)" white paper. But for a marketer to insist on
a corporate email suggests to me that they want to market to others at my
organization besides me, and that's just not acceptable.

So as I have noted in a couple other posts here and elsewhere, if I look for
a white paper and get a message asking for a corporate addy, I will not only
forego the resource but call them on it on my blog, twitter, here, and
everywhere else I can think of. Just because it's a common practice doesn't
mean we have to follow it.

Besides, I have no faith that a vendor won't also say that a "vanity domain"
like, say, www.jessewilkins.com, won't be equally unacceptable.

Regards,

Jesse Wilkins
Twitter: jessewilkins