From:
"Allen, Doug" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 2008 11:43:00 -0500
I think that the best solution for the free white papers is for each of
us to determine whether the disclosure of information, and whether
likely contact from the vendor is something we're "ok with" personally,
and whether the value of the white paper outweighs the potential for
marketing calls that we may receive.  It doesn't surprise me to see
vendors attempt to ensure that they know who is receiving white papers,
since they prefer not to provide those white papers to competitors.

Not all white papers are created equal, certainly.  Some provide
valuable content that RIM professionals may find helpful, while others
are very thinly disguised product sales efforts.  In either case, they
are marketing devices, and perhaps the "best practice" is for each of us
to determine the likely value of paper, and to determine how much
information we are willing to provide in order to obtain it.

Douglas P. Allen, CRM, CDIA+