From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 2008 12:30:11 -0400
On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 11:35 AM, Piotrowski, Charles <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> As with any online service - caveat emptor...
>
> As we saw with email services years ago - they said they respected
> privacy...unless they could profit from it or they had to disclose it
> for legal reasons (subpoenas). So much for privacy. If you opt in, know
> what control you're giving up.

and look what happened with Facebook or was it MySpace when they wanted to
show you what your friends were buying. The s-storm that resulted forced
them to stop it.

> I like google...their search engine, igoogle, google earth...but when
> they start storing one's content I get concerned.

so do when I search using google I make sure that I have signed out of gmail
before I start my search so they aren't gathering that data.

> Their email service touted its ability to mine your email and link
> advertisers to you. Thus, one of their corporate assets is the content
> of gmail. I can easily see that google medical records will also become
> an asset to be mined and sold to advertisers when google sees fit.

what is going to be interesting is that I recently read of a local
government entity that had a decided to use Google Mail as their official
email. Yikes! FOI requests should prove interesting. I believe that I posted
that article in a recent RAIN posting.

> Also, if UCLA Medical Center can't keep their employees from e-diving,
> what would keep a google employee or hacker out of the same info?

I don't care what Google may say about their security there are backdoors
built into all software so that the admins and developers can do their jobs.

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va