From:
"Allen, Doug" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 2008 12:03:34 -0500
One key thought about online health records is that we're in a situation
where we have seen privacy violations that occur with paper-based
records.  The challenge that any online availability creates is that it
provides for a tempting target for those who can and will seek to find
and exploit security weaknesses in order to obtain information
illicitly/illegally.

For those among us who have had credit card information "stolen", have
experienced some form of identity theft, etc.  How "happy" might we be
if we learned that our private health information was suddenly exposed
and available to anyone willing to pay a "hacker" a fee to obtain?

We've already seen the erosion of "privacy rights" occur in this age of
the Internet..... A key question for an informed consumer decision is
this: Do the so called benefits outweigh the interest of privacy
protection?"

Douglas P. Allen, CRM, CDIA+