Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 2008 10:06:03 -0400
Dear Listserv Colleagues:

I saw the Information Week article below this morning and I wanted to get everyone's take on it.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/security/privacy/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=208700666

It looks like the 9th U.S. Circuit Court has ruled that text messages are private even if the messages are transmitted from devices paid for by the organization that provided them.  This is a very interesting case that was ruled in favor of a Police Office in the city of Ontario, CA.  There is also a link to the ruling in the article.

How do organizations out there address SMS communication in their systems and e-communication policies?  And, if SMS messages are allowed, what tools are used for audit and compliance purposes?  Last but certainly not least, in light of this ruling, I wonder if devices provided by organizations should block SMS altogether?

I am eager to hear what the list has to say about this subject.  Have at it!

Thanks,
Stephen A. Smith, MLIS, CRM, CDIA+
Records Manager
QVC, Inc. Information Services
O:      484.701.1559
F:      484.701.1443
C:      484.905.2517
E:      [log in to unmask]
A:      Studio Park, MC135, West Chester, PA, 19380-4262

Contact [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> for assistance To unsubscribe from this list, click the below link. If not already present, place UNSUBSCRIBE RECMGMT-L or UNSUB RECMGMT-L in the body of the message.