From:
Angie Fares <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2008 18:50:38 -0500
I have actually been in both scenarios.  In the medical field, I ran a
health information management department that was also responsible for
quality assurance and utilization review.  Later, for a medical device
manufacturing firm, I reported to the VP of Regulatory Affairs who was
also responsible for Quality Assurance.

Both experiences were excellent for me.  In both cases, I was defined as
part of the corporate ethics and compliance program and given authority
to rule on records and information, privacy, and business process
changes that could affect the integrity, control, or security of records
and information being created.  It was one of the reasons that I chose
to add an audit credential to my skill set and I have benefited greatly
from becoming a Certified Information Systems Auditor.

I had to work very hard to educate others about my profession and its
rightful place as an intelligent "science" in the organization, but that
is nothing new to most of us out there!

Call me if you want to get into a more detailed discussion.

Angie Fares, RHIA, CISA, CRM
Director, Corporate Records & Information RadioShack Corporation 300
RadioShack Circle, WF4-130 Fort Worth, TX  76102
Phone: 817-415-4925
Fax: 817-415-9742
Email: [log in to unmask]