From:
Mark Chase <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2008 14:21:20 -0400
This is true.  The largest manufacturer of compact shelving has exclusive territory dealerships and therefore it is not possible to get a real competative bid within that territory for the same brand.   A second quote would be at odds with that dealers' contract.  Replacement parts are likewise sold within this exclusive territorial system.   It reminds me of how Bill Gates marketed the computer OEM's, either exclude lotus and other competitive products or don't use the Windows operating system.

Several manufacturer use this method of distribution in addition to the folks in Wisconsin, the good people in Canada and the provider in Alabama all use an exclusive territorial contract.

We represent several open lines as we have found that each manufacturer has a sweet spot that they do very well.  By focusing on the client's application rather than the manfacturer a better solution can often be crafted.

The specifications should focus on the unique use of the system instead of the patented features of a particular manufacturer.   If you want to avoid sole sourcing the purchase and if you want the best value, make sure the spec's can be met by several manufactures.  The competitors will tell you if you have something that is patented, then I recomend looking for alternates which address the use, but are featured from several manufacturers.

mark