From:
Mark Chase <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2008 17:43:12 -0400
Peter,

To address your comments:

Government has several purchasing options outside a public bid:  GSA, State Contract, buying groups such as American Communities or Novation , and when deemed appropriate they can write a justification to sole source.

My point is that specifications only take you so far.  It can be helpful for the initial purchase, but unless the parts and service are readily available in an open market it is difficult to get a square deal after the install, and remember, these installations last 20 years.

It is my experience that while purchasing departments do a great job in administering a proposal process they do not possess the specialized training.

If I were in the users shoes I would contact the city engineer or manager and get referred to a trusted architect who has experience in these systems.  They already have most of the spec's written and with a short interview could write the balance all at a cost of under a grand.  A cheap investment in my view.

mark chase

atlanta, ga

Blue Ridge Solutions Group
877-438-5415 - Dial 9, pause, then extension 10
mchase @ blueridgesolutionsgroup .com