From:
Deborah Gouin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 2008 10:03:53 -0400
Amber,
One of the most important issues from an archival standpoint is the ability
to do an upfront appraisal in order to identify any of the electronic
records that have permanent or historical value.  With electronic records we
cannot wait until the office needs to dispose of the records, because they
may no longer be accessible.  When identified early in their life cycle
preservation plans can be put in place to insure accessibility.

Regards,

Deborah I. Gouin, CA
Electronic Records Archivist
University Archives & Historical Collections
Michigan State University
101 Conrad Hall
East Lansing, MI 48824-1327
Phone: 517-355-2330