From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 2008 15:07:43 -0400
On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 13:24:52 -0400, <Sara Janes> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who is regularly harvesting and
>keeping as a record their organization's website.
>
>How are you scheduling these? Are they permanent records, or not; if not,
>how long are they kept? How often do you take a fresh snapshot?
>
>Any information would be helpful.

The "Artists Formerly Known as the ARMNA SDC" had a Task Force that is in
the process of working on this subject... and they're finding a lot of data
out there on the subject, much of it contradictory and confusing (WHAT a
surprise!)

Opinions range from soup to nuts on what to do with web content.

One common thread is **IF** the content exists elsewhere and is simply
portrayed on a web site for reference and use, and that content is scheduled
for retention in its native form at the source level, then it MAY NOT need
to be scheduled as a 'web record'.

Much of what is delivered on the web has no source record, it may be
generated from data tables, CRM applications or other database type sources,
so then it gets much more cloudy as to how you manage it.

I think you'll find much more opinion than hard guidance on this subject.
One source you may want to take a look at is the NARA guidance from 2005

http://www.archives.gov/records-mgmt/policy/managing-web-records-index.html

and the appendixes

http://www.archives.gov/records-mgmt/policy/managing-web-records-appendix.html

Larry

Inbound email scanned for viruses. (e248)

Outbound email scanned for viruses.  (e230)