From:
Steven Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 2009 10:06:16 -0800
Sharon, hang in there.

Looking at world events; small, unstable countries getting their hands
on or developing nuclear weapons (N. Korea, Iran), countries that
traditionally hate each other (Pakistan, India, Israel & mideast
countries), countries that compete for economic resources and extending
power, (PR of China, G. Britain, USA, Russia, France, Germany), and
looking at bibilical prophecies that seem to point to the year 2012...;
we should all do some personal disaster preparation.

Thinking about personal disaster preparation..., my recommendation is
very functional, and somewhat retrospective of Abraham Maslow's
hierarchy of needs:

What do you need most to survive?  Think war; think displacement or
refugee.  And then resurrect functions?  And then thrive?

1. dehydrated and canned food, potable water, shelter, flash lights or
lanterns, heat source if applicable, weapons & ammo, basic tools &
shovel, terrain maps and compass, evacuation routes.  Also, if possible,
a hand crank generator and battery pack.  Radio.  Think in terms of
going out into the woods or desert and camping for a month or more.
What do you need to survive?  (Not counting football & beer).  Keep your
vehicle(s) at least half fueled; all the time.  Have an emergency kit in
each vehicle and a basic tool kit.

2. personal vital documents; birth certificates, DD-214's, property and
vehicle titles, checking and savings account numbers, cash/gold and
credit cards

How can you prepare your home to get ready for a disaster or to
evacuate?  One way is to create a small, portable safebox that can be
picked up and moved in a hurry.  Perhaps place in it titles, DD-214,
bank account info, some cash and/or gold, and a weapon and ammo.  Before
anybody gets too bent out of shape, think of what the world might
become if there is anarchy.  If you are thinking survival, then prepare
for survival.

This little list is just a beginning; I am sure others and experts
would think of lots more supplies and preparations to make.

Best regards, Steve
Steven D. Whitaker, CRM
Records Systems Manager; City of Reno

>>> [log in to unmask] 1/8/2009 8:01 AM >>>
<snip>
That really got me thinking about if I had to leave home fast, what
would I take? I mean I've got my emergency preparedness stuff (including
dog supplies), but what else would I grab? How many places would I have
to look to gather my important stuff?

Hey - reality bites sometimes. Guess what I'm doing this weekend.
 <snip>