From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 2009 16:03:47 -0500
Just read this article:
http://www.topix.net/forum/city/silver-spring-md/TL0QKV9QPDKCKRIQT#lastPost

And for me, this begs a question... there is PDF and there is PDF, right...
and THEN there is "Microsoft PDF" ????

So which PDF are we talking about?  Recently I upgraded to Adoobe 9 here at
work and am finding problems working with files saved in earlier Adobe
versions, specifically 7 and 5, and this doesn't even speak to the
differences between PDF and PDF/A.

NOW... my employer is finally forcing the issue of moving to M$ Office 2007
and effective Jan 21st, we're all (6500 of us!) on 07 with no looking back.
 So during a 2 hour introductory training session with an M$ staffer we were
discussing "Save As" options and I noticed there was a "Save as Microsoft
PDF" (?)

We had already had the discussion on the .docX and .xlsX issue and how
although they call it "open XML" it is NOT plain vanilla XML, nor is it
compatible with the standard for XML, ISO/IEC 19757, but rather a M$ version
which is now called an 'official ISO standard' http://snipurl.com/a1z6d
[arstechnica_com]  but it's NOT the same...

So I asked her "What is Microsoft PDF and is it fully compatible with all
PDF viewers and is there any testing that 's been done regarding it's
long-term viability?" and she just sort of looked at me and said "Hmmm... no
one has ever asked that question, honestly, I don't know"  which to me a was
a refreshing answer from a Microsoft staffer... but it didn't put me anymore
at ease.

Anyone else have input on this??

Larry