From:
"Daniel W. Noonan, MLS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 2009 09:35:01 -0400
Hello Tamar, et al: I know this will sound rather flippant, but what is the
point of an email "archive" if one does not apply retention rules to it?  It
would seem to me to be an expensive, glorified backup system.  We should be
to the point of understanding that email in and of itself is not a record
type or series, but just the delivery mechanism of various records, with
varying informational/retention values.  It has been my concern for years
that we deploy expensive tools such as these and document imaging systems
without first contextualizing them within a records management framework.
OK, I'll step down from my soapbox now.

Respectfully, Dan

Daniel W. Noonan, MLS, CDIA+
Electronic Records Manager/Archivist