From:
Nancy Freeman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 2009 14:03:45 -0600
All,

I work at a wildlife research facility for the USDA.  I've posted
intermittently over the years and this question is directed for those that
deal with animal research.  The question is:  what is the retention period
for animal care records?

I checked the Animal Welfare Act and couldn't seem to find anything.  Same
with the GRS.  We have a Safety and Health Officer here who stated "The
Animal Welfare Regulations states that all records and reports shall be
maintained for at least three years."  Being the good records manager I
try to be, I think, "at least three years?"  What kind of retention is
that?  The Safety Officer recommends our staff keep the records for three
years after the death of the animal or when the animal leaves the
facility.  He mainly means general maintenance and care of the animals. If
the records are part of a study, and contain substantive data, they may be
kept permanently with the study, particularly if the research is Good
Laboratory Practices (GLP) standards.

What I'd like is a more firm retention period, particularly for general
maintenance, and the citation for it.

Many thanks!
Nancy Freeman, Records Manager/Archivist
National Wildlife Research Center
4101 LaPorte Ave.
Fort Collins,  CO  80521
(970) 266-6023