From:
Jenny Borland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 2009 19:35:15 -0800

Hello everyone,

I have been intrigued by the discussion about a peer reviewed journal in
records management. As a library and archives graduate student, and one of
this year's recipients of the AIEF scholarship, I think a peer reviewed
publication is very much needed. From a student's perspective, it has been
difficult to find in-depth resources on the RM issues. While it is true that
there is currently a lack of academic programs entirely dedicated to records
management, there are many academic courses offered at graduate level on
this discipline, and I do not think this should be used as an argument
against a peer reviewed publication. Indeed, it has been my experience that
fellow students (including the one who has just graduated with the first PhD
thesis on RM and who has won a tenure track professorship to teach RM at
Toronto), professors, and professionals in the field have much to discuss
that needs an academic journal as a forum and would subscribe and contribute
to such a journal. Further, although RM has been considered the archival or
library step-child, I see the field growing at an exponential rate and can
attest to the fact that the archival and library graduates who have focused
on RM are in great demand.  How can an academic program in RM flourish
without scholarly literature supporting it?

In terms of logistics, I think that it is ARMA's responsibility to spearhead
this process.  If ARMA is looking to the next generation as future members
and leaders in the association, then ARMA must provide a forum where the
theoretical and the practical issues can be critically discussed and
debated.  RM already has a community of thinkers and prolific writers, but
their writings are dispersed among a very large number of peer-reviewed
journals in several allied disciplines. The way I see it, the only thing
stopping us from coming together and publishing in a peer reviewed RM
journal is us. The choice is ours to make, and as a future professional, I
hope the current generation of leaders will see beyond the practical
challenges of publishing and continue to push the RM towards a higher level
of professionalism.

Thanks for reading,

Jenny

Jennifer Borland
MAS/MLIS Candidate
School of Library, Archival and Information Studies
University of British Columbia, Canada