From:
"Nemchek, Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 2011 11:44:05 -0700
I worked with fixed fee arrangements for years, and I absolutely love them and highly recommend them.  When possible, I will opt for this kind of contract with an offsite RIM vendor every time.  I'm very careful in drafting the contract terms to make it fair for both the vendor and the customer, i.e., we do an activity analysis covering 1-2 years of account activity before setting the caps, specifically to avoid any kind of surprise for the vendor (activity levels far exceeding what is covered by the flat rate).  Also, the contract has to contain specific line item rates for monthly services exceeding the cap.  The optimal goal is to manage your offsite activity so as to never exceed your caps, but there will always be some exceptions during the course of a year.  For me, the willingness of a vendor to work with me in crafting a flat rate contract is a top selection criteria when I go out vendor shopping.  Unfortunately, when I last changed jobs I inherited a storage account with a vendor that will not consider flat rate contracts, so I'm stuck for the time being!

Lee R. Nemchek, MLS, CRM
Vice President, Records Management
Oaktree Capital Management, L.P.
333 South Grand Avenue, 28th Floor