From:
Angie Fares <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Dec 2011 18:26:41 +0000
I agree with Pat that formal education is highly respected and should be considered.  However, I got my first MBA in Management of Information Systems in 1995 and it is now so outdated because much of what I learned is now obsolete.

I also agree with Iloni that certifications keep you fresh and up-to-date.  I think that formal education gives you a pretty good stable base of information to continue to stay up-to-date, but the effort to stay current has to be made.

I've seen some folks pass the certification exams with little or no college education and they are fantastic professionals, but very driven to stay current.  I've also seen highly respected PhD's that cannot apply the knowledge that they have gained in a practical way that makes sense in the real business world, but they can pass a lot of tests.

I guess the answer is somewhere in the middle.  A combination of education and certifications is the most likely formula for success in the records management industry.  A highly motivated person can overcome lack of education by learning on the job and studying hard for a certification.  Likewise, someone who is good in one silo of skill sets can broaden their horizon over time and become better educated.  It just depends on what your particular industry needs in terms of skill sets that determines the best path for each professional to showcase what they know.