From:
Josh Hargrafen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Dec 2011 10:25:14 -0600
Sarah,

You bring up a very interesting topic.  I am not sure that such a system
is even possible from a practical perspective.  You can use SharePoint to
manage only records if you wish and workflow's within SharePoint to manage
your event driven retention, but I am not sure of the user acceptance of
what you are proposing.  You are essentially telling employees, if you act
on your information I will manage and dispose of it in accordance to
company retention policies, if you do nothing your data will live forever
untouched.  This is a frequent conversation that I have with colleagues.
It is possible that ERM can exist without ECM, but you must have a very
strong audit program with real consequences for users who violate policy.
Of course if you are implementing this is in a small organization or at a
departmental level the level of visibility for abuse is much higher and
your plan could be more successful.  The larger the deployment is though,
the more diluted the oversight becomes and that is when you can run into
issues.

Josh Hargrafen