From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 2012 11:12:16 -0500
Here is a question I have, "Is it possible to prohibit all employees from discussing the corporation or organization outside of the work place. And have as a company policy that discussing the company on Facebook, Twitter or any outside media without an approval from legal is a termination offense."

Funny growing up in the 50's and 60's I never remember my Dad ever discussing work at home.  We barely knew what he did.  (He sold insurance and estate planning. Ha, this apple didn't fall far from the tree as my vaults are also a form of insurance.)

We are seeing more and more espionage and it would seem that information from the workplace is private to the corporation. But we are also seeing real damage being done by discussions where an employee is easily duped into revealing information harmful to the organization.

You never prevent it, the CIA is a perfect example of that; (Pollock, et al)  but they are better at keeping secrets than corporations.

As Larry stated:
> Obviously, there is a need to strike a balance and consider if there MAY BE
> benefits that outweigh the risks, but it's also apparent that unchecked and
> unfettered use of these services goes contrary to sound business practices.

We looked at a Facebook account, but upon a risk analysis, we determined that it was counter to our mission. Many of the vaults we install are never mentioned again by client request.  The only thing better than having a vault; is having a vault that no one knows exists. Vaults are like Dagwood's sandwiches, no matter what you have on them, clients keep wanting to add more security features.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM