From:
Brad Houston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2012 13:21:30 -0500
Hello all,

On the suggestion of Peter K., I am cross-posting this here-- apologies to
those of you who are members both of this list and the SAA Records
Management Roundtable list.

The Records Management Roundtable (RMRT) of the Society of American
Archivists is looking for experienced records management professionals who are
interested in sharing their expertise with the next generation of
archivists/records managers. In particular, we are looking for volunteers for two
of the programs mentioned in my chair's article from the Winter 2012 RMRT
newsletter:

Mentoring: We are running this through SAA's main mentoring program; go to
http://saa.archivists.org/Scripts/4Disapi.dll/4DCGI/members/mentoring.html to
get a sense of what is expected from mentors (access to this page requires
SAA membership). I am putting the call for volunteers out here, however, to
increase exposure and get more records managers available to potentially
mentor student and new professionals looking to learn more about records
management. For more information, email Michael Courtney,
[log in to unmask] You must be a member of SAA to be part of
SAA's official mentoring program; however, if you are not an SAA member and
are still interested in working closely with a student or new RM professional, we
can facilitate that connection as well.

Resume review: this is a revival of a program the RMRT ran back in 2008-2009
to some success, but for whatever reason it was dropped shortly after. We
would like to resume offering to review resumes of new or not-so-new
professionals for records management positions in order to give more specific
feedback than is offered in the RMRT resume guide. However, to do this most
effectively, we need a group of reviewers, preferably from various industries
involved in records management (I can only really give advice on resumes from
an academic library standpoint, for example). If you want to help but don't
have the time to be a mentor, this is an excellent opportunity. Please email me
directly at [log in to unmask]

We are also looking to compile names of RMRT members and other records
management professionals who might be willing to work with local SAA student
chapters for liaison purposes, presentations about archives/RM work, etc. If
you are near a university with a student chapter and might be interested in
something like this, please let us know that as well. A list of currently-active
student chapters can be found on SAA's website, at
http://www2.archivists.org/students/chapters

Thank you in advance for your help!

Regards,

Brad Houston