From:
"Metzer, Laren" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2012 13:34:00 -0700
 Although the California State Archives does not have records management
responsibility for state agencies, we do offer advice to cities and
counties through our Local Government Records Program on the topics of
archives and records management. We also periodically offer a one-day
basic workshop on records management.

We generally recommend that organizations pay records storage costs, if
applicable, for records that are  retained for less than five years,
digitize records that are needed for a period of five to ten years, and
microfilm records that have a retention period of longer than ten years.
Digitization, when harnessed to the power of a computer, is a great tool
for accessing active and semi-active records, but microfilm is a better
and more cost-effective method to ensure the preservation of records
that are needed for a long period. Digitization, of course, also
requires the periodic migration of data to newer media over time,
irrespective of whether the original records have been saved or not.
Bottom line depends on your objective: I suggest digitizing for access,
but microfilming for long-term preservation. Microfilm is certainly NOT
an obsolete technology. Properly processed and stored, microfilm can be
accessed for hundreds of years. Most digital formats are usable for less
than twenty years and the hardware/software needed to access the
digitized records has an even shorter life.