From:
Cindy Bialy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2012 15:24:36 -0400
Hi Yvonne,

I asked one of our tech guys this questions and this is his answer.  Hope it
helps!

Microfilm is a trusted tool for long term preservation. Microfilm  has a
life expectancy of 100 years for a diazo duplicates and 500 years for a
silver original/master if stored properly in a controlled environment.  The
only issue is will we be able to read microfilm in a 100 years never mind
500! But with the technologies that are now available we can make documents
available within seconds. Technology also  allows us to back up documents
daily thus creating  digital preservation.

And yes digital preservation has its negatives also.

Digital technology is developing quickly and retrieval and viewing
technologies can become obsolete in a matter of years. When faster, more
capable and less expensive storage and processing devices are developed,
older versions may be quickly replaced. When a software or  technology is
abandoned, or a hardware device is no longer in production, records created
with such technologies are at great risk of loss, simply because they are no
longer accessible. This process is known as digital obsolescence. To avoid
digital obsolescence clients need to migrate their data. Migration is the
transferring of data to a newer system or media. This may include conversion
of resources from one file format to another (e.g., conversion of Microsoft
Word to PDF), from one operating system to another or from one programming
language to another so the resource remains fully accessible and functional.

Digital preservation is defined as:

long-term, error-free storage of digital information, with means for
retrieval and interpretation, for the entire time span the information is
required for. Long-term is defined as "long enough to be concerned with the
impacts of changing technologies, including support for new media and data
formats, or with a changing user community.

We can also create microfilm from an electronic image if required.  Do they
need to access the documents? If so do they have a microfilm/microfiche
reader printers available. Equipment comes a high cost also,(maintenance
cost, service contracts, toner or ink cartridges, down time, paper) Most
companies/people have access to adobe's free pdf viewer so documents can be
sent via email, saved to thumb drives, etc.

In the end it all comes down to do you have a retention plan in place? And
most importantly do you follow the guide lines of your retention plan?
Remember though, we are not privy in a lot of cases when it comes to the
legality of the document so we always recommend speaking to legal council
before making any decisions. Each state has its own guidelines and
requirements.

Cindy Bialy
Director of Marketing
AMS Imaging LLC