From:
Laurie Sletten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2012 17:57:56 +0000
Ralph,
Perhaps we are too quick to judge on this issue.  Maybe if we had more information we could respond less vehemently.

Some companies do not allow records to be retained longer than the administrative, legal or fiscal values of the records, but are aware of some historical significance of the records for others.  They set their retention periods according to their internal needs and do not allow the records to be maintained longer within the business due to economic constraints.  There may be no legal risk of maintaining the records longer, but the company does not want to bear the costs.

They cannot provide adequate administration of an archival operation and sometimes will donate the records to an outside repository that is able to provide such services for the records.

Is this the scenario we are seeing?
Thanks,
Laurie

Laurie Sletten, CRM, CA
Records Retention Schedules Project Lead
Information Technology Services
University of California - Office of the President
1111 Franklin St., 7th fl.
Oakland, CA 94607
Phone: (510) 987-9411