From:
"Spencer, Beth" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2012 08:55:35 -0500
I have read with interest the replies to my original question about insuring our records and I think that there are many details to the scenario that I have left out. First, my supervisor was the one who originally suggested that I look into putting some sort of insurance on the records, so I know that I will likely have support when determining the best way to safe guard these records.

Patrick Cunningham hit the nail on the head that these drawings are aperture cards, although many in the present batch are 105mm sheets. I came into the company a year ago after this project started, and I was told that very few (if any) other companies provided the conversion services that we required, and because of this (and because of our service contract with said company) I have not looked into other options. We actually sent out drawings to this vendor before and had absolutely no problems with shipping/converting/etc. Since I was not with the company at the time and did not have any overlap with my predecessor, I have no idea how she sent the first batch of aperture cards out to our vendor or what steps she may have taken to prevent loss.

I suppose because the first batch went off without a hitch (it seems), it didn't occur to me that there were so many variables that you all have pointed out. As far as copies are concerned, I have already made a copy of the cover of each set of drawings; we may have some of the drawings in hard copy, but certainly not all of them. It's possible that our vendor DOES know about insuring these types of things, but because I've come onto this project late, I have been taking certain things for granted. I will certainly contact them and see what they suggest-- maybe that will solve the whole problem?!

Thanks so much for all the replies. Every day I realize there's so much to learn in the RIM world and I appreciate reading all of your ideas!

Beth Spencer