From:
Jay Maechtlen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 2014 16:17:16 -0700
On 8/8/2014 12:56 PM, Max Macias wrote:
> Hi there,
>

> I was wondering if any of your fine folk would be willing to share some of
> your documentation standards with me, or perhaps list a resource I could
> consult?
>

> I am currently in charge of creating documentation creation, storage,
> retrieval, archiving and destruction standards for our IT department and am
> looking for some guidance.
>

> Thanks for any help you can give!
>

> Max

Hi, Max-
As a Techwriter, I've done documentation for a number of IT groups, and
am currently working on IT security standards for a SoCal city.
I'd like to discuss this, a bit. I don't recall seeing much in the way
of documentation standards
Many of them recognize they should have something, but creating
standards may be way less important than getting the basic docs in place?
I think most IT documents are considered internal - they are used for IT
purposes, with no formal storage or archival needed.

What I'd recommend (informed by what I've seen)
Creation - as need is recognized  to foster IT security and efficiency
Storage - maintain docs in a manner that they can be accessed and read
when needed.
         - this could mean in a paper binder with a flashlight nearby,
depending on the docs. Where do you put instructions for the emergency
generator and battery backup systems? If city power is down, you may
need that flashlight so you can read the instructions and view the
generator's operator panel.
The primary storage for most docs might be on storage systems. But for
DR, you need to look at scenarios and consider accessibility of docs.
Retention: Retain until replaced or no longer applicable. ( for ongoing
functionality, should prob retain at least one prior version for reference.
For replaced or obsoleted functionality, retain as long as there's any
chance of pulling he equipment out of mothballs to read (for example)
some archived tapes with business content.)
Archival - only as needed to support retention, I'd guess.
Destruction - if related to ongoing operations (old versions of server
room docs or network configurations) should prob be shredded.
Electronic - ANY device capable of retaining data needs to be wiped or
shredded prior to disposal.
This means flash drives, hard drives, media, and especially the storage
in big printers and MFDs (printer/scanner/etc. Multi Function Devices).
This includes computers, systems, and - maybe network gear?

Regards
Jay

--
Jay Maechtlen