From:
Brad Houston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 2015 10:26:52 -0400
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the illumination on this. I recognize that not all schedules from a given
institution are available on the live web (my own institution has a number of department-
specific schedules that are only available on request, though we're working on fixing
this), but if a retention schedule for student records DOES exist then that is something
that the author of the piece I quote in my post should mention (see complaint about
making me work for it directly below the red flag paragraph ;).

I think the situation you describe re: records management being a "backdoor" operation
within university libraries is probably more common than any of us would like. Being
connected to the Archives helps, though it does tend to focus one's efforts on identifying
and soliciting records with permanent value, at the expense of time spent on the
temporary ones (though the risk management side of things has helped me talk up the
part of my job that deals with sensitive records at least). It does look like the RM
program at Yale has suffered from disuse in recent years, based on the currency of both
the GC and MSSA records pages, though to the Beinecke's credit they did recently put out
a job ad for a records manager. It is, sadly, a term position, but you have to start
somewhere I guess.

Would you mind reposting this email as a comment on the original post, or may I quote
from it in an "edited to add" note in the post itself? I think the additional context re the
origin of the schedule and the state of records management in the Yale Law School would
be valuable for the blog's readers, not all of whom necessarily subscribe to RECMGMT-L.
Thanks!

Brad Houston
University Records Archivist, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
UWM Libraries, Archives Department
http://records.uwm.edu