From:
"Steward, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 2016 14:50:17 +0000
I am leaving Peter's original message below for context.  This is an interesting and thought-provoking article.  Please consider, as you read the following comments, that I started my career in paper and microfilm.  Heck, aside from streaming my music, I'm kind of a Luddite when it comes to digital knowledge.  I still like to organize physical environments!

But I am a huge proponent of "Manage in place" philosophy.  I believe that the days of expecting and requiring workers to do the right thing and formally declare "records" is long gone.  This article takes on that reality.  The author makes strong and valid points for creating information environment systems that workers will use because they want to.  This is the first step to a nexus of information management and governance.

Our world of clean and neat records versus the totality of all information is gone.  I'm sure that you guys will be quick to point out exceptions.  This is a brilliant group of professionals.  But all the arguments will do is highlight exceptions.  Don't these, by definition, create the rule?  Our world is overwhelmed by information.  Most organizations hang on for dear life, they don't have it under control.

Enter IG.  In particular, systems that provide IG tools to wild collections of data.  Having the ability to manage the content and context has greater value than forcing workers to place a particular item in a particular spot.  We must have the tools to identify what is out there.  Can we create systems in which the workers give us that much knowledge about each item so we can do our work?  Is this simple enough that they will choose to do it well?  That is the key to managing information -- knowing what we have and where it is.  Come to think of it, sounds a lot like how I approached paper!

Sorry for a rant that is too much utopian and too short on solid solutions.  But I like this article.  Made me think.  And the question I come away with is "Are we forcing workers into something they won't agree to do?"  At the end of the day the workers are responsible, but did they fail because we failed them?  Our tools have to be good enough that the official repository is also the perceived path of least resistance.

David B. Steward
Director of Records

HUSCH BLACKWELL LLP
4801 Main Street,Suite 1000