From:
Kathryn Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 2016 12:14:24 -0700
Who is looking forward to the self-driving car?

Not me!

Unless it comes as a sudden "only self-driving cars on the road at all" type of thing, I think it would be more dangerous than the roads are now to have both human drivers and self-driving cars at the same time.  If you have some idiot not paying attention who runs the red light, is that self-driving car going to make the right split second decision to either jerk the wheel left or right, or slam on the brakes or speed up to get out of the way in time before getting hit?  People tend to react instantly and on instinct in these situations.  Self-driving cars would have to have threat processing and reaction time that would likely be much slower than a person's reaction.

Also, I trust myself to watch for little feet and bouncing balls on the other side of parked cars, I don't trust a self-driving car to be that aware of its surroundings.

Thank you!
Katy Johnson
Records and Information Manager
Jefferson County