From:
Julie Lintner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 2016 15:15:42 -0500
There are many things to consider when choosing an Imaging Vendor.  Before you know
what to look for in a vendor, you probably need to make a list of your requirements.   I
will list a few of the basic considerations here:

- Does your organization already have any type of Document Imaging repository?  If so,
that might be the first consideration.  For example, a large number of organizations
already have SharePoint, and SharePoint can certainly be used for Document Imaging.

- Are you looking for just scan and archive capability?  This will keep your requirements
much simpler.  This means you can probably eliminate things like workflow.

- What type of retrieval functionality is needed?  How do you want to find the documents
and how fast?  This will help dictate what meta-data is needed for the documents.  You
mentioned "closed files", this sounds like the retrieval rate is low and the speed is not a
concern.  This means you might be able to image the documents with minimal
information, which will make the process faster.

- Are the documents in electronic format or paper?  Vendors typically handle these
different and if they are in electronic format, there may be a way to bulk load the
documents.

- What is the IT knowledge of the organization?  If it is minimal, then you want a solution
that will require very little IT administration, a SaaS solution might be a good
consideration.

- Do you need Records Management on these documents?  Not all Imaging vendors offer
RM, but most will partner with an RM vendor.

I am new to this list, so I didn't want make the Reply too overwhelming.  I would be
happy to discuss in more detail and you can contact me directly.

Julie Lintner