From:
Luciana Duranti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Feb 2017 11:23:43 -0800
Chris Flynn asks what is an original record.

According to archival diplomatics, an original record is the first complete and effective (i.e. capable of reaching its purposes,.. like reaching the intended persons) version of a record. Which means that each and every tweet of Trump is an original record when received and saved in the context of whomever receives, reads or uses it (e.g. the ProPublica's Trump's tweets are original records in the ProPublica archival fonds). In each context the same tweet is a different record, of course, though the same document.

As all tweets are communicated, whatever tweet Trump deletes is a deleted original record. Whatever tweet Trump changes is a new original records. Drafts are never communicated (they stay with the author for refinement and finalization) unless they are called "draft" as a documentary form and they are intended for communication and feedback. In such a case they are original records called drafts, but they are not drafts.

You can tell I am procrastinating working on my article... Forgive me!

Luciana