From:
Jay Maechtlen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Nov 2017 00:15:19 -0800
On 11/17/2017 9:42 AM, Elizabeth Mc Gorty wrote:
> Hi, Collective Wisdom,
>
> Staff at my company are unable to open files on shared drives because those files are buried within sub-folders that exceed the 256 directory path limit. My company is in the commercial real estate sector, and there are complex digital folder filing systems for the Legal and Development departments (for example), given the nature of their work. As I think through ways of simplifying organization (tagging and metadata are good options), but it's complicated without a document management system, so I am open to any suggestions), I'm curious if others have encountered this technology issue? I've worked in other offices that that use shared drives on PCs, and humans love to create deep, dark pits of hierarchies, yet I've never had trouble opening files that are buried within excessive folders.
>
> Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Happy Friday,
>
> Elizabeth McGorty | Archivist/Records Manager, Legal
> Brooklyn Navy Yard Development Corporation
Well, I'll leave the discussion to others of 'how they should be
(re)organized.
In Windows, you can have the computer/system consider a particular
folder as the root of a drive.
On my computer, for example, C:\Data is also D:\

The command is Subst
on my machine, there is a .bat file with the command
subst D: C:\Data

(for testing, I insert a 'pause' instruction on the following line so I
can see any displayed errors in the terminal window)

So, that might be one way to handle it - have drive letters take them to
suitable locations within the maze.
Regards
Jay

--