From:
Maarja Krusten 2 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Nov 2017 18:20:41 -0500
A follow up to my November 8, 2017 message about Veterans Day, "Remembering
Vietnam," and the value of records.  I mentioned in that message that the
exhibit about the Vietnam War that we were about to open on November 10,
2017 included a panel about research at NARA that revealed that Chief
Warrant Officer Stephen E. Lawrence was due a Distinguished Service Cross
for his actions in Vietnam.  You will find his story and those of other
helicopter pilots and Vietnam veterans (including Rich Boylan, the NARA
archivist who assisted Lawrence) in my blog post, "Welcome Home."
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__archivalexplorations.wordpress.com_2017_11_16_welcome-2Dhome_&d=DwIBaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=DS9DmSRs84etPw12DTxlWYchqkPacmDaS2BAowPqD4k&s=UgzhCMl0FGVEVh9dNLfkmBg9ncFdH23mNepFxuf_tpk&e=

The title reflects the demonstrted value of preserving and making
accessible records reflecting a 360 view of complex events and
recollections, as observed in the exhibit opening day events that I and
others at NARA helped staff November 10, 2017 and in recent days.  Some of
those records were preserved through the records management process in
Federal agencies and departments, others through donation of presidential
records prior to passage of statutes requiring their transfer to NARA.

Maarja
@ArchivesMaarja
Blog:  https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__archivalexplorations.wordpress.com_&d=DwIBaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=DS9DmSRs84etPw12DTxlWYchqkPacmDaS2BAowPqD4k&s=Mgewsh4mUf7H4DgJfRepkO2gEnCeSChrpLK7rPLjnOA&e=
Washington, DC