Sender:
From:
"Seibolt, Robert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2018 16:12:51 +0000
Hello all in quiet Listserv land. An observation recently came up in a facility audit of our offsite storage provider. The provider offers a shrink wrap service for boxes to protect from water damage should the sprinklers go off in the facility or a sprinkler head break. I really don't know what to think about it. I like our boxes have access to some air flow.

I am not sure in the event of a sprinkler activation it's worth the expense or cost of having boxes shrink wrapped. I don't think I have read anything about the pros/cons of doing this type of process. I also think the history of most  serious incidents in commercial storage facilities would indicate wet records might be the least of the risks or problems to address unless they are left to soak. The cost is $3.10 per box. I have never been involved in an incident involving a sprinkler issue at commercial storage vendor. It seems like a remote possibility especially as most boxes are intermixed among clients reducing the risk. I am not sold it's worth the time or cost with a beneficial return. I certainly wouldn't shrink wrap boxes that might be called back. Does anyone have any thoughts or information on this issue?

Rob Seibolt, CRM
Records and Library Services
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.mriglobal.org&d=DwIFAg&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=7KLL4LZqNbBVFfYWwl43A1ThPlOaEmIxmuDpNutxKYU&s=Gm7GFtmQ9pTnm1Z0BMzKBe3ihz-0sL7Y86xv9JOBugM&e=<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.mriglobal.org_&d=DwIFAg&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=7KLL4LZqNbBVFfYWwl43A1ThPlOaEmIxmuDpNutxKYU&s=idE-IpAXGbwSwoy04l9FjgdD1wln-MzmbtXoE6yl3_U&e=>

This message is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This communication may contain information that is confidential, proprietary, privileged or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by facsimile, e-mail or phone and delete all copies of the message.