From:
Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 2004 10:37:34 -0800
How would you answer this message

As you have no doubt heard, the nut of this is what are you trying to do?
Are you hoping to prove compliance?
Are you capturing an historical record?
Are you just documenting your operation?

A systematic capture of your site at designated times might "prove"
compliance. I doubt it, but it might. It might even show compliance at the
time of the snapshot. It would depend a great deal on the metadata captured
along with it.

As an historical record it is problematic. Consult your local Archivist (be
prepared for each Archivist factor in at least three opinions each).

I don't believe a snapshot with provide adequate documentation of your
operation. It will certainly help but you should do a CBA prior to investing
in it.

IMHO you should be very careful of IT solutions in this arena. They tend to
be quick and neat with a nice price tag on them. Apart from the money,
management loves this type of solution. I am not convinced that our needs
are met by using snapshots to capture our sites. That others have
historically opted to do this should not, IMHO, be used as a standard for us
to follow.

Chris Flynn