From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 2004 07:55:35 -0500
<Did you Bate-stamp the copies that were sent to the attorneys?  ABY>

No. The volume was small enough to allow identification of all
pages/documents that were sent - either through the second copy we kept or
by accurate listing in the log.  The attorneys may have Bate-stamped what
they sent to the court or other attorneys, but we wouldn't be a direct part
of that.  One practice I have tried to stop since I came on board here 11
years ago is the sending of original material to the City Attorney or other
attorneys when they request documents.  If the court absolutely demands
originals (and they very, very rarely do) I will "escort" them to the
appropriate office and wait for them to copy the docs, then "escort" them
back to our premises.  We have found large gaps in our historical and
long-term retention operational records where originals were sent to
attorneys in the past and never returned to us.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM)
Records Manager
Information Technology Division