Sender:
From:
"Piotrowski, Charles" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 2005 14:32:50 -0400
Here we work under the assumption that every information asset needs an
identified lifespan, regardless of it status as a record. This is the
core of our Information Asset Management philosophy - remove ambiguity,
apply consistently, reduce risk.

Thus, we are very detailed about identifying and applying a retention
for all information for which the company is responsible. Per our IT
policy the company owns, and thus is responsible for, all information
generated on its systems (yes, we have a lot of education on the issue!)

To that end we have a "Retention Schedule" (Not a "Records Retention
Schedule") which includes not only records, but all non-record material
(after all if we are liable for it, we need to speak to it).

If someone runs across something that is not on the schedule we ask that
they notify our office immediately and we then we "nominate" it for the
retention schedule.

The nomination process is akin to others stated on this thread (PK's
algorithm); we run everything through the funnels:

1. Law, Rule, Regulation
     1a. Tax/Audit
2. Administrative Need
     2a. Best Business Practice
3. Historical Value
     3a. Business Owner
     3b. Corporate

If it slides through the above clean, it gets added to the schedule
using its name (or names - we maintain a thesaurus - this allows our
users to type in their own vocab and get an answer on our web-based
schedule). The retention is for paper and electronic and is "no longer
than one year after date of last modification."

Yes, people can work around it by modifying docs every so often.  If
they do this and it is a problem, then it escalates into an employee
behavior and time management issue. I can't prevent it, but we are clear
with the repercussions of employee creating counter cultures of
information management.

Finally, while is sounds like a lot of work reviewing every little
thing, to my own surprise, it is not. I do benefit from a small shop -I
am the only records person for 550, although we are a much regulated
publicly traded power company. Most stuff that gets nominated is just
another "doc of the same ilk" that is either synonymous for an existing
doc or a different doc that requires an already established retention
period.

Chuck Piotrowski
Records Manager
CVPS