Sender:
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2006 14:33:15 -0700
From:
Jerry Kirkpatrick - MMX <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
cc: Sarah Shew - CIOX <[log in to unmask]>
This is the first time that I have actually sent an email to the "List",
although I am a faithful reader and follower of postings.  I am the
Records Manager for Maricopa County, in AZ, and am facing a large task.
I am heading up a Work Group charges with the task of researching the
practice of our County when it comes to email records retention, and
proposing viable compliance options.  This is motivated by a new AZ
State (ASLAPR) Guideline that requires fairly strict capture and
retention of email records.

In trying to arrive at figures and dollar amounts, we need to have an
accurate, defensible average percentage of emails that government
workers receive that would qualify as a "record".  I know that several
months ago there was quite a discussion on the topic of email records,
but I have not been able to locate that in the Archive.  Would anyone
happen to know of a good average percentage, and a reputable reference
source for that figure?  I have heard 30% of emails received at work
would qualify as "records" and require retention, but cannot find a good
reference for that figure.

An important follow-up question is one related to the average percentage
of low risk, routine public records -- the kind that can disappear
(unless they're being targeted for investigation) after a relatively
brief period of time, say 30 days to three months.  My thanks in advance
to all of you colleagues for your help with this research project.

Jerry Kirkpatrick
Records Manager, Maricopa County
Materials Management
602-506-8717 ph
602-258-1573 fx
http://ebc.maricopa.gov/materials/Records_Mgmt/records_mgmt.asp

Do not worry about tomorrow; today has enough worries of its own.